This article shows Privileged Users how to Import and Export SSProtect Organization Users.
SSProtect allows you to Import and Export Organization Users using comma-separated variable (CSV) text files that can be managed with a variety of software applications. The Import/ Export procedure is straightforward, with controls available from the Administer Users display as described in the article, Managing Organization Users.
There are however a few caveats to these operations, for example that the Export format differs from the Import format. This article explains these differences - and the reason they exist - and shows you how to utilize Export Template to acquire a starter file you can use with Import Users.
First, the easier part, Export Users available from the Administer Users dialog accessible by any Privileged Organization User. Click the button, choose your target file and destination (which starts in your Default Folder of course), then use the resulting file with any number of applications and purposes:
Exported Users .CSV Details
Exported User files are UTF8-encoded comma-separated variable (CSV) files. The output includes a single header line before a series of output lines, one for and specific to each of the Accounts in your Organization. The columns are as follows:
- Username - The email address identifying the Account's User
- RegTime - The Date/ Time the Account was Registered, not displayed in the UI
- ID - The Software ID for the Account
- Moving - The Software Simulated 2FA Moving Factor, the RFC 4226 HMAC-based OTP counter (not in the UI)
- Disabled - Whether the Account is enabled or Disabled, as displayed
- Reserved - The amount of Reserved Quota storage space for the given Account, as displayed
- Delegate - Whether or not the Account is the Admin or a Delegate, as displayed
- SplitvChains - Whether or not Split vChains is enabled for this Account, given by the vChain (N/A) checkbox above
- IntOverride - The Integrity Override setting displayed by the Int Override checkbox
- UnsignedApps - Whether or not unsigned applications can be used for Managed Access, as displayed
- RelProtections - Whether the Account is permitted to Release Protections for Managed Data, as displayed
- IgnoreEnh2FA - If bypassing Enhanced Login 2FA, as displayed
- AutoSoftfg2FA - When checked, and as displayed, suppresses Software 2FA Prompts
- :Recover - Whether or not :Recover is enabled for the given Account, as displayed
- Double - Whether the Double Conversion Operating Mode is in-use, as displayed
- DisableBulk - Whether or not Bulk Conversion is enabled or not, as displayed
- EnabledCat - As displayed, whether or not Catalogs are enabled for the given Account
The boolean on/ off (or enabled/ disabled) checkbox items are depicted with a one (1) or a zero (0) matching the associated UI checked or unchecked control state (when displayed). The bold columns are those NOT INCLUDED in the Import file's .CSV format.
Import Users with an Export Template
Starting with release v11.0.4, you can click Export Templ then choose an output filename to create a starting point for the new set of Users you wish you add to your Organization.
The generated template includes two lines - the Header for the Import, describing each of the columns, and a single example line that matches the Policy of the selected User as a starting point. Edit and/ or copy/ rename this file and define the Policy associated with a set of new Users you wish to create, then click Import Users and choose the input .CSV file to proceed.
NOTE: You can retain the Header line or remove it - the import operation will work with either format.
Import Processing and Errors
The import process reads each line from the input file, in order, and creates a new User for each successful set of parsed Policy settings. If/ when an error is encountered, for example when the contents of a column are invalid, the import process stops. Error information - the specific User and the column where the error was encountered - is included in your Host Debug Log.
Committing Imported Users
As Users are imported, they are NOT committed. This gives you the ability to review settings before you Save specific User Accounts. Select each from the Userlist on the left to review and/ or modify the Policy settings, then Save or Cancel as you see fit.*
You can also choose Save All and SSProtect will walk the set and commit each Account individually until an error is encountered or the full set is committed.
* You can also choose New if you wish to create more Users manually. You cannot, however, execute another Import operation until you have Saved or Canceled all new Accounts associated with the previous Import.
Processing Errors: Seat Licenses, Duplicates, and Quota Limits
During the Import process, as each User is added, SSProtect checks the number of Licensed Seats to ensure there is enough room for the new addition. If all Seats are already used or reserved for previously processed New Users (during the Import operation), the Import operation will stop and remaining Users from the input file will not be processed.
The same applies if you have duplicate Accounts, as determined by Username (email address).
:Recover Quota Limits, on the other hand, are verified during Save operations: If the amount of Reserved Quota exceeds that available for the Organization, the Save operation will fail. If part of a Save All operation, the operation will terminate (with status noted at the bottom right of the display).
You can search this site for more information on various topics, or use this link to submit a specific request. You can also send email directly to email@example.com, and our staff will respond to your needs as soon as possible.
This article was updated w/ v11.0.4 of the :Foundation Client